Thursday, August 26, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner: Sour Cream Waffles!!

Breakfast is the most versatile and delicious meal of the day in my opinion.  Breakfast can be as simple as a bowl of cereal, a yogurt, and a LARGE cup of coffee, or as complicated as a 4 course meal with fruit, bread, eggs, meat, and some element covered in my favorite hollandaise sauce.  I love to eat breakfast at all times of the day, this also coincides with my need of cups of coffee periodically during the day (I get cranky if I don't have my caffeine!!).  I like that breakfast can be savory or sweet or both!!  This is where these sour cream waffles come into play.  The recipe is Art Smith's (all bow down!) and it has everything that I could ever want from a waffle.  It's crunchy, it's cake-y (which I happen to like in a waffle),  it has a nice tang at the end from the sour cream, and combine it on a plate with a little butter and some syrup and there you have it, the perfect tangy-sweet melt in your mouth deliciousness that I crave on the regular.  I like to make these waffles in large batches and freeze them in gallon bags.  Then I am free to throw one in the toaster as I please.  They are also wonderful the next day placed ever so delicately under a huge pile of ice cream (just a thought)!  If you like your waffles on the lighter side, may I suggest separating the yolks and whites, whipping the whites to soft peaks, and folding in after everything else is combined.

Art Smith's Sour Cream Waffles

Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. A.P. flour
1 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick melted then cooled unsalted butter
1 c. milk
1/2 c. sour cream
3 large eggs

Directions:
1.  Turn your waffle maker on to preheat
2. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl and make a well in the center with a spoon
3. In a separate bowl mix all of the wet ingredients.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and mix gently with a wooden spoon until just combined. note: do NOT over mix or the waffles with be tough and don't worry about some lumps that is what it's supposed to look like.
5.  Spoon mix into greased preheated waffle iron and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the outside is golden and the inside is cooked through.

Note:  you can keep your already made waffles warm in a 250 degree oven on a cookie sheet while you wait to serve them.

The batter...yes it's lumpy!

Waiting for it to be done...I'm really impatient when separated from what will soon be on my plate!

Delicious and WELL worth the wait!!

See you all next time!
and remember....Food is Love

1 comment: