Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hey Y'all: Paula Deen's Peach Cobbler

So I went on vacation this summer with my friend Brett and his family.  Our trip included a stop in beautiful Savannah, Georgia and we were lucky enough to eat at Paula Deen's restaurant The Lady and Sons.  It was absolutely delicious (of course)!  While there I had the buffet of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, roast turkey, pork stew, stuffing, cabbage, mac and cheese, and many more delicious dishes.  After eating at least one of everything in sight the waiter told us that dessert was included!! I had the peach cobbler which was warm from the oven and absolutely delightful!  Literally I could have eating an entire 9x13 pan of this cobbler, I may or may not have even licked the bowl it came in (Don't judge me!!).  After dessert I marched myself right down to the gift store in search of that recipe!  Much to my convenience, they have postcards at the Paula Deen store with recipes printed on the front one of which being the peach cobbler recipe of my dreams!    This might not be peach cobbler the way many people make it.  There is no crumble topping, it's cake-y, not crunchy.  The dough rises around the peaches and the result is fruity pillow-y like deliciousness! I made this the first time for my last day of work for the summer and it turned out great (it only lasted on the table about 15 minutes)  but there weren't enough peaches for my liking so this time when I made it I increased the amount of sliced peaches from 4 to 6 cups and it turned out great!


Paula Deen's Peach Cobbler

Ingredients:
4 c. of peeled, sliced peaches ( I used 6c.)
2 c. sugar, divided
1/2 c. water
1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups self rising flour (recipe below)
1 1/2 c. milk

self-rising flour (1 c.): 1 c. flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder.

Directions:
1. preheat the oven to 350
2. combine the peaches, 1c. of sugar, and the water in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from the beat.
3. put the butter in a deep baking dish and place it in the oven to melt.
4. mix remaining 1c. sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent clumping.
5. pour mixture over melted butter. DO NOT STIR.
6. spoon the fruit over the top, gently pour on the syrup.  batter will rise to the top during baking.
7. bake for 30-45 minutes. to serve, scoop onto a plate and serve with your choice of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Unlike revenge, this cobbler is a dish best served warm!  So feel free to eat it as soon as you can get it onto a fork!  I like to pour a little bit of heavy cream on top before I eat it!

The Lady and Sons...home of the best fried chicken EVER!
Right out of the oven...if pictures had smell, you'd be grabbing a fork already!

Yummy!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment