Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fist Pumpin': Sausage and Peppers

First off, I want to apologize for the Jersey Shore reference in the title of this post.  But hey, it got your attention right!!  There will be no guest appearance by "The Situation" just some darn good Italian fare on the menu tonight!  Now I made this recipe up myself one day last semester when all I had in the house was a bag of sweet peppers, some Italian sausage, a can of diced tomatoes, and some garlic.  I wanted something really filling because the neighbors were coming over for dinner (which they are tonight as well) and I hadn't had time to shop that day!  I basically chopped up everything, put it in a baking dish and roasted it turning it every 15 minutes until it cooked evenly.  I've never tried it with any sausage other than Italian but I'm sure that you could and  if you mix up the veggies and add spices you could really diversify the dish!  Even though it is summer I like this dish the most when it gets cold out.  i like to pair it with either pasta or rice, tonight I'm serving it with cheese tortellini yum!


Sausage and Peppers (my own recipe)

Ingredients:
1 pkg sweet Italian sausage
1 pkg hot Italian sausage
4 cloves of garlic sliced
1 lrg green pepper sliced
1 lrg red pepper sliced
1 small yellow onion sliced
1 lrg can diced tomatoes
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350
2.  Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of a glass baking dish and place sausages on the bottom.  Cover in chopped veggies, tomatoes, and salt and pepper.
3.  Roast in the oven turning every 15 minutes until sausage is cooked.  This generally takes 45 minutes to an hour.
4.  Serve with bread and side of rice or pasta.

 Roasting in the oven!

I forgot to take a picture before we started eating because it looked and smelled so wonderful (tasted pretty darn good as well!)

Enjoy this recipe with a crowd it's meant to be shared!!

No comments:

Post a Comment